Search this site
No. The current supplied by an ICD or Pacemaker is very small, it is supplied directly to the cardiac muscle in the patient so it has a marked effect at that site but the amount of charge reaching the surface of the body is negligible. It would not be felt by another person.
Keep calm and reassure the patient. If they feel fine after a single shock it should be noted and notified to the doctor or cardiac nurse. If repeated shocks occur,or the patient feels ill after the shock, ring 999 and ask for an ambulance. Tell them the patient has an ICD. Have the ICD paperwork and magnet to hand if possible.
Yes, once the initial phase of healing but it will take time for you both to build up confidence. You’ll probably end up checking in by phone regularly at first.
You’re not alone feeling like this. Joining a support group can give you a chance to talk through your worries with people in the same circumstances. Discussing your worries with the cardiac nurse can also help.
There are other people feeling the same way. Your cardiac nurse can help you come to terms with the changes in your life, as can other people who have gone through or are going through, the process of coming to terms with an ICD.
Yes, once you have got over the physical aspects of having the device fitted you can socialise. It may take a while to build up confidence. Begin with a short time with close friends or family,popping out for a coffee or lunch.As you feel more comfortable go further afield and to longer events.
The American Heart Association has a paper on coping strategies for ICD patients on its website